Posted in: IRS

IRS Tax Extension

American workers can file tax returns as soon as they receive their Form W-2 from their employers. Given the due date for employers to complete and issue Forms W-2 to employees is January 27th, not every employer complies with this. In these cases, the first thing an employee should do is to wait.

If the Form W-2 isn’t likely to get to your hands anytime soon, you can fill out a Form 4852 so you can file your tax return. To do this, you will need your last paystub. The completed Form 4852 will work the same way as the W-2. It works as a substitute form to the W-2.

For any reason, it is completely normal for you to feel off about doing this on your own. Regardless, you can file for a tax extension if you’re going to receive your W-2 in the end, especially after the April 15 deadline. Filing a tax extension will give you an additional six months to file your federal income tax return.

However, you still must pay your taxes. Given the issue here is the lack of documents, the W-2, rather than the funds, it shouldn’t be a problem. You can make payments to the IRS via IRS Direct Pay.

This part is important. Select your reason for payment as an extension and continue to detail your information to verify identity. If your tax withholding isn’t likely to exceed your tax bill, make sure to pay more than what you need to make up. As any amount you exceed will contribute to your tax refund, you don’t want to end up owing to the IRS.

As for those who will receive a tax refund for sure, make a minimum payment since you already paid your taxes. Then, you can file your taxes before October 15 once you have your Form W-2. More information about the wage and tax statement form can be found on our front page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *